Head of Department : Mr Tom Campbell
The Science course at Bishops guides the boys on an exciting ‘hands on’ exploration of their environment.
- Small classes
- appropriately equipped Science laboratory and Design technology room
- a variety of excursions ensure fun-filled participative activity.
We hope that Science investigation will ‘spill over’ into each boy’s home!
We regard the interest and encouragement of parents as critically important to each boy’s progress and are most appreciative of constructive feedback to what we are doing at school.
Bishops aims to give each boy a special and rewarding experience.
Our general aims are:
- To develop and enhance in each pupil a desire to understand the nature and substance of the world around him, through scientific enquiry.
- To offer each pupil the opportunity to internalise scientific knowledge and methodology.
- To mobilize each pupil to think critically and creatively and then venture confidently into their own independent research and investigation.
- To instil in each pupil a respect for his environment and a duty to take a personal responsibility for the conservation of natural resources.
Specific skills include:
- Organise & manage himself and his activities responsibly & effectively. Good attitude, behaviour, concentration and observation of deadlines are all important.
- Work effectively with other people.
- Make detailed and accurate observations.
- Collect, organise, analyse, and evaluate information and phenomena.
- Research and then select relevant information from resources such as books, knowledgeable people and the internet.
- Think logically and creatively to tackle puzzles and ‘problems’.
- Devise & conduct experiments in the field & laboratory and then draw apt conclusions.
- Work correctly and safely with appropriate laboratory apparatus and chemicals.
- Research, plan, build & demonstrate apparatus and provide clear oral explanations. Then evaluate the success of their design.
- Present neat and concise written work.
Assessment is continuous and based not only on academic achievement in tests, but also on skills attainment and attitude. Pupils will be assessed on the following:
Topic tests (These tests will not merely test recall skills but will also test the ability to think and to apply ideas in unfamiliar contexts.)
Practical laboratory work and behaviour
Model construction and oral demonstration
Portfolios and charts
Neat and accurate written work
Programmes of Work
The curriculum for grade 4 to 7 is structured thematically to give a broad grounding in biology, physics, chemistry and technology. In each theme there is opportunity for extension activity for the enthusiastic pupil.